From: TerryMoselaol.com Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:01:39 EST Subject: Aurora, Galway Accom RTF, Huygens. Hi all, 1. The aurora alert continues for tonight (17/18), and tomorrow night (18/19), so keep a lookout. 2. GALWAY ACCOM for the CSP: Here's a list of GH, B&B & Hostel accommodation in the general area of the Westwood Hotel, Newcastle, Galway City, for the Connaught Star Party on Sat 29 January. If I may be so presumptuous, it's a bit more comprehensive than the one on the website, & gives email & web addresses where known, and an indication of prices & directions. If you have to travel a long distance it's probably better to go on the Friday evening & be there ready for the 09.00- 09.45 registration start on Sat morning! I have done it as an RTF file, so it should be virus-free. 3. The images from the ESA Huygens Probe will be posted on the ESA Cassini-Huygens homepage: http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-Huygens/index.html and on the Cassini Multimedia Gallery: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/index.cfm Clear skies, Terry Moseley
CONNAUGHT STAR PARTY, Galway, 2005: Accommodation: TEL CODE: 091. From NI dial 00 353 91 + number. (Mainly in the Upper Newcastle, Dangan, Taylor's Hill & Upper Salthill areas. Headford Road is more on the Dublin side of Galway, on the East side of the Corrib River, but still fairly close to the Westwood Hotel. Bushy Park is further out along the N59 Clifden Road, past the Westwood Hotel.) All rates are per person sharing, except for 'Single'. Check latest rates before booking.
GUEST HOUSES: (Most rates are from the 2004 'Be Our Guest' Hotel & GH Guide)
- ABBEY HOUSE, 113 Upper Newcastle, Galway City, Tel. 524394, Fx. 528217, E: . 2* GH, rooms E/S. B&B from €25 - 50.
- ADARE GH, 9 Father Griffin Place, Galway. Tel 582 638, Fx: 583 963. E: . 3* GH, all rooms E/S. B&B from €35 - 50. (About 6km from venue)
- ATLANTIC VIEW, 4 Ocean Wave, Salthill, Galway. Tel. 582109, Fx: 528566. Mob: 086 852 4579. E: . 3* GH. B&B €27.50 - 99. (Salthill, near coast: about 7km from venue)
- CORRIB HAVEN, 107 Upper Newcastle, Galway City. Tel 524171, Fx: 582414. 3* GH, with AA 4-diamond rating. E: , . All rooms E/S. B&B €30 - 70.
- MARIAN LODGE, Knocknacarra Rd, Salthill Upper, Galway. Tel. 521678, Fx: 528103. E: , . 3* GH, AA 4 diamonds. All rooms E/S. B&B €32 - 45. (about 10km from venue)
B&Bs. (Most rates are from the Town & Country Homes guide, 2004.)
- ABBEY LEE (Michael O'Shaughnessy) 3 Cuan Glas, Bishop O'Donnell Rd., Taylor's Hill, Galway. Tel. 524768. 4 Rms E/S, €30-35, Single €39-45. E: .
- ABBEY VIEW, Bushy Park, Dangan, Galway City. Mrs Bernie McTigue. Frommer recommended. Tel/Fax 524488. 3 Rms E/S, €28 - 38, 2 standard, €?, Single €37 - 50.
- ARAS MHUIRE, 28 Maunsell's Road, Taylor's Hill, Galway. Mrs Mary McLaughlin-Tobin. Tel/Fx 526210, E: , . 2 Rms E/S, €26.50 - 40, 1 standard €25 - 30, Single: €37 - 45.
- ARCHES, THE: Woodstock, Bushy Park, Dangan, Galway City. Mrs Bridie Ward. Tel 527815. E: . 4 Rms E/S, €27 - 30. Single €40 - 48.
- ASHMORE HOUSE, Mrs Geraldine O'Malley, Bushy Park, Clifden Road, Galway. Tel. 526218, Fax 589438. Max current rate: €35 E/S.
- BAYBERRRY HO, (Marie Cotter); 9 Cuan Glas, Bishop O'Donnell Rd, Taylor's Hill, Galway. E: , . 6 rooms E/S, €29.50 - €37.50, single €39 - €50. Tel. 525171, 525212
- CLOCHARD (Helen Kathleen Hanlon), 4 Spires Gardens, Shantalla Road, Galway. Tel. 521533, Fx 522536. 4 Rms E/S, €30 - 35. E: , (may not open until 1 Feb?)
- COOLAVALLA (Mary Corless), 22 Newcastle Road, Galway. Tel. 522415. E: . 1 Rm E/S €28-32, 3 standard €26-30, single €40-50. (may not open until 1 Feb?)
- DE SOTA, Ms Margaret Walsh, 54 Newcastle Road, Galway. Tel. 585064
- GALLAGHER, Frances, 15 Beechmount Road, (Highfield Park), off Rahoon Road (inner section) Tel. 522078 3 Rms E/S, €27.50 - €31, 1 standard, €25.50 - 28.50. Single, €38.50 - €43.50. (Summer only?)
- IVERNIA, 41 Maunsell's Park, Taylor's Hill, Galway. Mrs Elizabeth Hassell. Tel 523307. E: 1 Rm E/S, €27 - 35, 2 standard €25 -30. Single €37 - 45.
- KILBREE HOUSE, Circular Road, Dangan Upper, Galway. Annette & Mike Grady. Tel 527177, Fx: 520404. E: , www.kilbree.com. 6 Rms E/S, €28 - 38. Single €40 - 50.
- KILLEEN HOUSE, Ms Catherine Doyle, Bushy Park, Clifden Road, Galway. Tel. 524179. Current rate on the ITB website is €80 pps, E/S!
- LISNAGREE, 1 Cherry Park, Newcastle, Galway City. Nora Corley. Tel 520230. E: , . 4 Rms E/s, €30 - 35. Single €39 - 44.
- PETRA, 201 Laurel Park, Newcastle, Galway City. Miss Bridget Phil McCarthy. Tel 521844. 3 Rms E/S, €26-50 - 34, 2 standard €24.50 - 30. Single €37 - 42.50. (may not open until 1 Feb?)
- ROS GAL, Mrs Nancy O'Neill, 2 Ashgrove, off Newcastle Road (inner part, almost opposite Costelloe Road) Galway. T. 524723
- SANDYVALE HOUSE, Sean & Marie Collins, 1 Sandyvale Lawn, Headford Road, Galway. Tel. 760923. 4 Rms E/S, €30-42, single €45-55. E: ,
- St ANTHONY'S (Noreen Collins) Terryland Cross, Headford Rd, Galway. Tel. 76647. 4Rms E/S, €30-35. Single, €40-45. E:
- VILLA NOVA, 40 Newcastle Rd. Maureen McCallion. T. 524849. 4 Rms ES/, €30. Single €40 - 45.
- WINACRE LODGE, Bushy Park, Dangan, Galway City. Mrs Phil Concannon. Tel. 523459, E: . 5 Rms E/S, €28 - 38. Single €40 - 50.
HOSTELS: (Light breakfast is included for the first two, which are both located South of the City centre, not convenient to the Westwood House, but would be good value for students etc.
- BARNACLES QUAY STREET HOUSE, 10 Quay St, Galway. , E: , tel/fax 091 568 644. Dorms €11.50 - 19.50; rooms €23 - 26. Family rooms & E/S are available. Parking.
- KINLAY HOUSE, Merchant's Road, Galway: , E: , Tel. 565244, Fx 565245. Dorms €10 - 19.50, Rooms €22.50 - 24.50. Family rooms & E/S are available. No car park.
- SLEEPZONE, Bothar na mBan, Woodquay, Galway. Tel 566999, Fx. 566996, E: ,
N.B. If driving westwards on the N6, after you cross the new Quincentennial Bridge over the Corrib, there's a 'No Right Turn' at the first junction onto the N59 Upper Newcastle Road towards the Westwood Hotel (signposted for Clifden). You have to go on to the next roundabout ('Browne Roundabout'), and turn right there, onto Thomas Hynes Road (also called the N59 at that point!). The Westwood Hotel is on the left at the end of that road (about 2km from the roundabout), where it joins the main N59 Upper Newcastle Road.
17 Jan 2005.
Last Revised: 2005 January 17th
Go to HOME Page