The Armagh Observatory and the Armagh Planetarium are distinctive organizations, part of a single corporate entity ``The Governors of the Armagh Observatory and Planetarium'' described in The Armagh Observatory and Planetarium (Northern Ireland) Order 1995, which superseded the original 1791 Act of the Irish Parliament entitled ``An Act for Settling and Preserving a Public Observatory and Museum in the City of Armagh For Ever'', and an Amendment of 1938 (``The University and Collegiate and Scientific Institutions Act [Northern Ireland], 1938''). The Northern Ireland Order 1995 has recently been amended by the Audit and Accountability (Northern Ireland) Order 2003. The Armagh Observatory and the Armagh Planetarium operate under two separate Directors and receive core funding from the Northern Ireland Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure. The total staff complement is approximately 40: roughly 30 in the Observatory and 10 in the Planetarium.
The Observatory Director has periodic meetings with the DCAL and reports to a Management Committee which usually meets twice a year, and (annually) to the Board of Governors. The Management Committee (15 members) and Board of Governors (15 members) together comprise representatives from a wide range of parties, including the Church of Ireland, the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies (DIAS), the Queen's University of Belfast (QUB), the UK astronomical community (e.g. members of UK universities and the Astronomer Royal for England), the Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council (PPARC), the DCAL, and other bodies. Core funding is provided by grant-in-aid from the DCAL, while variable amounts of additional funding are obtained from bodies such as the PPARC, the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF), the British Council, the Leverhulme Trust, the European Union (EU), and other grant awarding organizations. The membership of the Management Committee and the Board of Governors is summarized in Appendix A, while the approximately 30 staff members of the Observatory at 31 December 2004 are listed in Appendix B.